- Category: Principal Posts
- Published on Wednesday, 09 April 2014 13:54
- Written by Gail_Fleming
- Hits: 38
PTO Meeting 7 April 2014
In attendance: Rachel Doty, Craig Roach, Deb Schiller, Ruth Woodcock, Suzie Wagner, Lisa Berkson, Gail Fleming, Londa Holsinger, Tracy Binet-Perrin, Amy Martin, Dianne Clouet
Minutes: Gail Fleming
Craig – Homework Policy (part of GSS improvement plan) …
Copies of draft of HW plan were given to committee. A lot of ideas/opinions were offered:
- reading is important, it does not matter what, as long as they are reading
- homework should be meaningful and connected to classroom work, more than just a habitual activity
- homework helps kids to learn they have certain things they need to accomplish in a timely fashion, whether they want to or not, and teaches time management
- homework is more meaningful when the student is allowed some creativity
- there should be “graduated expectations” as students progress
- HW shouldn’t be tied to grades
- How do we assure accountability, relevance, flexibility for teachers and students (those who do not follow through).
- HW should be consistent from grade to grade
- HW should not lead to a lot of extra grading for teachers
- There should be a simple method for timely feedback (both Lynn Leighton and Deborah Ruesswick employ successful methods)
Craig will bring PTO feedback to PLC
- Make It Take It – May 10 – $$$ is coming out of regular PTO finances for the first time – should we continue to fund this activity (2X / year)?
- Contra – should we finance?
These 3 activities cost PTO about $1000/year. This will come up for discussion at the end of the school year
- Tulp Trot meeting Tuesday at Londa’s (142 High St) 6PM – please do not bring children. Deb S. is calling to get donations for prizes. Amy – will take responsibility for a raffle – prizes should not be just for fastest scores
- Price Chopper $ has not been turned in yet – Londa: PTO needs a treasurer
Lisa – idea: cookbook fundraiser – could be tied into healthy snack, farm initiatives, etc.
- Box Tops 570 so far
- Winter Sports Suzie – wants to explore what other schools are doing (Oak & Academy). Green’s program is the most developed program. It was suggested that WS Committee meet before the end of the year also prepare registration materials over the summer.
Suzie did a great job of organizing paperwork this year.
PTO account: 4 categories (can we have 4 separate accounts? Mo likes this idea) The accounts would be enrichment, winter sports, playground, field trips
The account should be down to about $1500 at year’s end
Start the year with a “cushion account”
We have $13000, some of which is encumbered
Playground will be getting $$$
Contra & Make it & Take It will come under enrichment
- Lisa has suggested a Cookbook fund-raiser. These have been successful in other schools and churches
- Dianne Clouet – presented a proposal and schedule to bring in a drummer, Todd Roach, who would meet with all students over a 3-day period. The program would culminate with a performance for school/community. Cost is $400/day for 3 days. One day’s cost will come from Dianne’s BEEP budget. There is about $2100 available in the enrichment in the account. The PTO ok’d the expenditure of $800 for this program.
- Tracy Binet-Perrin –– Destination Imagination – Tracy will get info at “Globals”., which she will soon attend. Now is time to get parents on board – training is needed and the program must be up and running by November. Interested parents can call Tracy. Amy will also look into it. Londa will contact Enrichment Committee, though the PTO members are stretched thin at this point.
Tracy’s presentation on Parent Forum will be tabled until next month
Next meeting - Monday May 5 at 6PM.